Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Hunger strike continues- I believe.

The hunger strike in opposition to the LAUSD Board's intention to layoff teachers and other budget-related changes is continuing, to the best of my knowledge. I heard a reference to it on the radio. All in all, we have less than a dozen participants. This is receiving some low-level publicity, and for that reason, hunger strikes have only a very limited, focused effect just on the target. That might get what they need; they may be swayed.

For the rest of people, generally, there is not much concern. I don't believed this is a liquid-free hunger strike, or it will be a very shortened one. The vacillating behavior of the Board may be what the participants are counting on, and I really can't say that such a position would be wrong. You just can't tell, but most other people don't know what's going on and therefore are not too interested in this activity's outcome.