Friday, February 12, 2010

City Employees Salary Database added in sidebar.

There's a Daily News link to an L.A. City Employees Salary database that I have added to the City sidebar and here http://lang.dailynews.com/socal/citypayroll/ which you can use to see what kind of salaries go with jobs in the city system. There's an explanation on that site for more details on the source and interpretation of the numbers shown.

From just checking a few things here, I can see why everyone wants to hang on to these jobs. The pay levels are really nice and what I see from that is that there's room for some cuts spread across a lot of employees to keep many more of them from their losing jobs altogether. There's a huge listing of "comments" posted by readers and what I see is that most are negative on the pay that's going out. One quick check on some of these showed a comment from a city employee, a manager, I believe, who said a problem was that there are often too many employees, shown by the fact that many don't have a lot of work to do , but that since a supervisor has budget money to use or lose, that keeps them staffing like that, given the options.
I don't know all the details, but insiders could see more and not all the details are known by all. The DWP information is not here and I checked for my own last name to see if my semi-long lost cousin at LAPD was there. What I found was that that no police officers are listed, only the LAPD's civilian employees. I did find there's at least 21 people with my last name working for the city, and even one with the same name- first and last, too. I compare that result to some time in high school or earlier when I checked the telephone book listings for the city when there was just one big book for everywhere- there were about 10 listings at the most for my last name and about half were my relatives. But on the L.A. City payroll, there's no one I know among those 21, so you see how big the city has become and how big the city's work force has grown.