Monday, November 03, 2008

ANNOUNCEMENTS
For the old readers and the newcomers, WELCOME. The information here today is NOT about the "LHS 95th Anniversary Gala" that happened this past Saturday night at the Omni Hotel downtown. "Why not?" you may ask. Well, since I wasn't there and no one has told me anything about it, I can only say, "If you went, email me about your experience, observations, opinions or other comments on it for posting. email: lhs90031@earthlink.net "

Today is strictly about some entertainment and information that is found on the web.

LARadio.com - check daily it for a month free
in http://www.laradio.com/ - normally a low-cost subscription needed, but for NOVEMBER, it's free. There's a little bit in here for everyone, Monday through Friday, available at about 7am those days.

Let me share this with you from the LARadio.com column this morning:

“I am encouraging you to share this information with your radio address book to alert those who may not know about the site that not only will they have access to the daily current news during November, but they will have access to 11+ years of Archival material and columns. “

“If you are a fan of Los Angeles radio – current and past - LARadio.com would like to invite you to read about the daily activities of Southern California radio.
Go to http://www.laradio.com/ and click the Members Only link at the very top of the page. When the box comes up, insert the word “free” (no quotation marks) in the username and password sections. That’s it and you’re in. Please check back every weekday morning around 7 a.m. for the latest LARadio news. Enjoy!”

So there it is. Try it. I have found lots of things here just as a fan of radio from "back in the day" to now. There are even some of my own emails and comments there, published on the site over the years. Lots of our memories are connected to radio as much as any other meduum. In that way, it really is part of our recollections- good and bad- of high school through music that become revived each time we hear certain songs.

How far back can you remember? Does anyone remember Hunter Hancock? Huggy Boy? Bill Balance? OK, then how about Ryan Seacreast or Rick Dees, or even Big Boy or Kevin & Bean? Does anyone remember that you could hear all types of music on the same station compared to now, when you have to choose Urban, Smooth Jazz, Pop, Country to find certain songs. The 60's radio did not divide music like you have it now. It was truly an eclectic mix that we just took for granted then. There's lot's to be found, large and small, on this site, and just tons of inside information and details on so many things besides music.

THE WEBSITE
You are reading "the blog" now, but "the website" http://www.lincolnhigh90031.com/ is still not actively updated- a couple of times over years is pretty much the story. So I would say that's "infrequent". I was teaching for a couple of years at Lincoln- yes, THAT Lincoln. This was from late 2003 to late 2005 and I thought it would be better if I did not try to comment about the same place that employed me to avoid any conflicts. That was a real experience that provided me with a perspective that could not easily be seen otherwise. More on that at another time.

THE FUTURE
So we are here, and this is a much faster posting operation, so I will use it more frequently as I come across things to share. Some will be purely for entertainment and some will be informative and from the political angle, showing you what City Council and other officials do to make life better but only for them, not for you. I almost forgot to include LAUSD and that needs to be considered in this theme of unresponsive and wasteful bureaucracies.

If you are one of "them" of the described group, you already know many of the shady dealings that go on. You might even think they are right, but I hope to bring it to the forefront where now much is being hidden from the general view. So more on THAT later, but not TOO much later.

If you have ideas or suggestions, I will handle things a little differently than what I found to be the case with LAUSD and the L.A. City Council. UNLIKE those groups, I will READ and CONSIDER each item as I receive it and I will try to do things in order to accomplish improvement of the human condition, a little bit at a time.