Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Today, March 2nd, in Music History

From the web site, http://www.laradio.com/, for L.A. Radio People, in the REWIND section, there's the bit of music history that I saw that I caught my attention and a few other things for March 2nd I picked out to note here.

On March 2, 1999, Dusty Springfield died of cancer. She was always one of my favorite singers- The Look of Love, Wishin' and Hopin', I Only Want To Be With You, and Son of a Preacher Man from the "Dusty in Mephis" album. That was released on March 1st of 1969 and was considered to be one of the all time great albums.

I liked Dusty Springfield's recording of "The Look of Love" that I associate somehow with the last year of high school, 1967. It's one song that for me just takes me back to a different time every time I hear it and it always gets my attention like that whenever I hear it. The other song that has that same effect for me, but is more upbeat and minus all the melancholy, while still putting me back into that same period of time is The Fifth Dimension's "Up, Up and Away." I liked all those other songs on that album, too, and I know I played it a lot. Just great sounding voices all around for Dusty and for The Fifth Dimension.

I've read that Dusty Springfield just came on the scene too early and could have been a more successful artist had she arrived later when women were able to do more in the way of managing themselves in the music business. She was one considered one of those blue-eyed soul singers and the Memphis session for Atlantic Records did much to support that opinion.

March 2, 1974- Stevie Wonder's "Innervisions" won a Grammy for Best Album of the year. I remember that time since I bought that album and three others of the 5 nominees, Paul Simon's "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" album with "Kodachrome," Bette Midler's "The Divine Miss M," and Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly." I bought these before the Grammy nominations were made and this was back was when there was so much music that really sounded like music, and most with stories to them.

One other very interesting fact from that L.A Radio column today was, "1964 - Beatles begin filming their first movie, A Hard Day's Night, budgeted at $500,000." That year was the beginning of the "British Invasion" and it seeme that no one could get enough of the Beatles. I wish that I had the time to listen to all the music I managed to accumulate, but there's always a lot that work like time machines to bring back memories, but that's all from so long ago that I think I avoid playing some on purpose so as not to think about how much time has passed. ============================================================

Here's a few other March 2nd events in Music History that I found on my own:

Born: Karen Carpenter – March 2, 1950- and she died so young so needlessly. She died on February 4, 1983 of anorexia nervosa.

Number One on March 2: 1963 Four Seasons: Walk Like a Man US #45
In 1963, the Four Seasons became the first group to have 3 consecutive #1’s in the US when “Walk Like A Man” started a three week run at the top.

Born today in 1938 , Lawrence Payton, vocals, The Four Tops. Payton died on June 20, 1997.

There's a lot of artists that I like to listen to that now have on their biographies, right next to the date of birth, their date of death. Time just seems to pass so quickly.